Four Fire Safety Tips
Make sure to check the status of the extinguishers before they expire!
Incidents such as fire does not come with notice. It is an unpredictable accident, but there are ways to reduce its consequences. Below, you can find tips for your home’s fire safety.
#1 Identify Fire Protection System
Each house should have a fire prevention and it is essential to familiarize yourself with them. These systems can consist of a sprinkler system throughout each building, and the vast majority of apartments have a fire alarm pull station to alert nearby residents.
#2 Check Smoke Alarms
Each apartment is equipped with a smoke alarm, but it is always a good idea to test these alarms on a regular basis. Typically, checking a smoke detect alarm once a month is sufficient. Always replace any smoke alarms that are older than ten years.
#3 Locate Fire Extinguishers
Locate fire extinguishers around areas of home that are exposed more to fire like the kitchen. Make sure to check the status of the extinguishers before they expire!
#4 Never Leave Food on the Stove Unattended
The number one cause of fires inside a home is due to cooking. Leaving food unattended on a stove significantly increases the chance of a fire, and it is important to remain vigilant at all times.
We Have Sufficient Equipment
- Equipment is one of the essential parts of any business. Our franchise is equipped for various types of water mitigation equipment.
- Moisture Sensors: Used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards, and walls.
- Moisture Meters: Used to detect the actual moisture content of various materials.
- Thermohydrometers: measures both temperature and relative humidity. After getting these two readings, we can calculate specific humidity, dew point, and vapor pressure.
- Extractors- used in cleaning carpets and upholstery and in removing water from floors following water damage. Extractors can be truck-mounted or portable.
Air Moving Equipment:
- Air Movers- used in water damage restoration to enhance evaporation at the surface level, reducing drying time. This moisture is eliminated using the dehumidification equipment.
- Dehumidifiers- By extracting water vapor from the air, dehumidifiers lower the humidity. They pull the moist, humid air in and discharge dry, warm atmosphere. The dry air acts like a sponge, absorbing moisture from wet materials.
Where should you look for water leaks?
It can be overwhelming to find water damage on your property. When restoring a water-damaged area, it’s highly recommended to not take this on as a project you can do it, simply because the water will seep through cracks within walls and floors.
To get started, here are five familiar places to find water leaks:
1. Water Heaters
Water heaters leak all the time, especially when they are old. About 70% of all failures have been the result of a leak or burst.
Toilets are the appliance that passes the most amount of water each day. In this situation, turn off the main water switch and inspect the tank. You may have to call a plumber, depending on the severity of the problem.
3. Water Pipes
Leaky pipes are one of the leading causes of water damage. One of the scariest thoughts is that most pipes are hidden, often leading to hidden water damage until it has seeped through the building materials and is noticeable through walls and floors. Be sure to have a licensed plumber inspect them every so often to prevent any potential water damage.
While many sources of water damage occur within the home, external issues, like blocked gutters, also cause for concern. With every fall and spring, hire a professional or clear away the debris from the gutters yourself to allow water to flow freely away from the foundation.
5. Sinks and Showers
Similar to washing machines and refrigerators, tubs and showers are among the most common sources of water damage.
SERVPRO HEPA Air Scrubber
SERVPRO Air Scrubber
The Phoenix GuardianR Pro HEPA Air Scrubber is a compact, portable true HEPA air filtration device. It is a portable filtration system that removes particles, gasses, and/or chemicals from the air within a given area. Whether set-up as an air scrubber or negative air machine, the Phoenix GuardianR Pro HEPA Air Scrubber design has been independently tested to verify true HEPA performance of not just the filter but of the entire device while delivering over 500 CFM of filtered airflow. The two-stage filter design removes virtually all hazardous particles from the air and the optional carbon/potassium permanganate filter can be used to absorb a wide range of odors and gases. Once using in a job site, this air scrubber removes smoke, fumes, mold, dust from the environment and provide clean air.